Contemporary dance is a style of expressive dance that combines elements of several dance genres including modern, jazz, and classical ballet. Contemporary dancers strive to connect the mind and the body through fluid dance movements.
At Dance Etc. School of the Arts, we start students in Lyrical which teaches the basics of fluid movement and weight changes and they then progress into Contemporary. We require a strong classical ballet background and a minimum of 1 ballet class weekly for Lyrical 1 and 2 and a minimum of 2 ballet classes weekly for Contemporary (multiple levels). Our program uses all the basics of classical ballet, including terminology, as well as introduces dancers to a variety of modern techniques such as Horton, Graham, and Ailey.
Copyright © Dance Etc. School of the Arts in Woodbridge,VA
All Rights Reserved
Contemporary/Lyrical 3 Program - A Letter from Ms. Analeah Stamps
Welcome to the Contemporary/Lyrical 3 Program! Unlike other classes at Dance Etc, you must be invited to join the Contemporary/Lyrical 3 Program. You are also required to take a minimum of 2 ballet classes per week to maintain your placement in this program.
I expect a lot from my dancers. I expect that you will:
• Be 5-10 minutes early for class, so that you can stretch
• Let me know if you are going to miss a class
• Have a good reason for missing class, i.e. graded school function, running fever
• Dress and act appropriately in class
• Be willing to learn/try new things
• Do occasional homework (both written and physical)
Since this is an invited program, you can be ask to withdraw. If asked to withdraw, you must wait until the next enrollment session before asking to rejoin.
The follow items need to be in your dance bag at every class:
• PAWS, Capezio footUndeez, Capezio Pirouette II Lyrical Shoe, or Bloch Eclipse Lyrical Shoe
• Dance Knee Pads
• Ballet Shoes
• First Aid Kit - instant ice pack, extra large and regular size band aids
• Extra ponytail holders
• Baby wipes
• Hand sanitizer
•LYRICAL 3 THROUGH CONTEMPORARY 3: any color leotard, convertible tights, optional black dance shorts (no writing), optional black dance/yoga pants instead of tights (must be form fitting and reach at least to knee), form fitting shirt
• CONTEMPORARY 3A/4: have the option of black dance shorts without tights
• NO JEWELRY! Only small earrings are allowed, leave all the rest at home
• HAIR securely in a ponytail or bun, I don't want to see you messing with it in
Extra Rehearsal Time:
• We usually have 1 big rehearsal in the Spring before zoo week
• If you are in Winter Concert, extra rehearsals will happen
If you have any questions, please let me know by leaving a note in my box in the office.